Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I am still alive and kicking one year after being diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome, a bone marrow disorder which, in my case, affects all three types of blood counts: white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. Due to the severity of my disease, I was given a median life expectancy of 3 to 5 months. Not quite sure why I am beating the odds. I don't have a positive attitude concerning the prognosis. There is not much room for optimism after much research and study regarding my type of disease. I am, however, accepting of it and have been rather serene from the day the doc broke the news to me. I do not fear death though I am not anxious to kick that proverbial bucket. I am neither depressed nor worried about my imminent demise. Instead, I strive to enjoy every single day I have left and to keep the beauty and the fun in living. My two oncologists are doing their best for me, but we're not at all certain if the chemotherapy and the experimental drug combination is working. Just can't figure out why I am still alive.
There is one thing that is very clear and without equivocation. I am the beneficiary of the kindness of an indeterminate number of total strangers during a total of 35 transfusions since July 30, 2008.
I wish I could thank all those kind souls who have kept me from death's door. They are my unseen angels of mercy and love.

No comments: